Sunday, April 3, 2011

Emotions and oceans...

Lain here... the somewhat more silent blogger!

I thought I should add something of a woman's perspective of our first week away. I would be lying if I didn't say it hasn't been somewhat emotional. I think the very first night away I quickly realised the massive undertaking that we have set out to achieve this year. With an incredibly heavy boat and muscles that had not paddled for some time I really felt quite overwhelmed by the circumstances I found myself in. One day at a time though and each day has been one to treasure.

Emotions aside as they quickly find themselves as I paddled past the biggest turtle i have ever seen on day 2 (only to be beaten by a bigger one on day 5) the tranquility and simplicity of just being out here with sometimes perfect weather turning into torrential downpours has already been one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

We have seen more turtles than I can count, sharks herding fish in shallow water and some un-idetifiable mammoth leap from the water not far from us! The beautiful rainforest and mangroves take you breath away and the feeling of a gentle breeze filling your sail warms the soul.

Back to the emotions... Crocs scare the shit out of me I have realised! I have been working through my issues (and probably driving Juz crazy with questions like 'Can you see a creek?' and 'get back from the waters edge!') everywhere we pull up but I am starting to realise and understand (I hope) the patterns of these man eating animals. We have set ourselves some ground rules and we are still here to tell this story so far so they must be okay. I realised I had fear though whilst sleeping ocean side in the tent not far from the high tide mark on Snapper Island directly out from the mouth of the Daintree River... yeah you tell me you wouldn't do a torch scan from the tent many multiple times that night!

As I turn my head torch off on day 6 it is with absolute happiness that I have to be where I am. I certainly do miss my beautiful family and friends but I also know that I will come back bigger and better from this and have amazing times with you all again. I thank you all again for your support in our crazy adventure and look forward to seeing you all on the flip side. For now though... may you all enjoy exactly where you are... and hug a tree of run around naked in a thunderstorm just because you can!

1 comment:

  1. Hey lain not sure if you got my last message? I am heading to princess charlot bay Thursday. We are stopping in cooktown wed then off to the bay for 8 days. I will keep an eye out for you. We are on a 70foot vessel Aroona, if u might need something we are going to b about. My number 0409903193. I ran into your mum and dad at the marina to here all about the great adventure! Have fun. Rossco miller

    ReplyDelete