Monday, April 18, 2011

A meal fit for an emperor.

Lain's update:

We are about a days paddle from halfway to T.I. Paradise surrounds every bay, hillside, island and reef and our bellies are filled with Red Emperor, mud crabs (today's lunch), fresh, crusty bread and much more.

Recently, as I was saying goodbye to my brother-in-law Rob at Brisbane airport, his final words to me were, "I hope it is everything you dreamed of Lain." Well Throb-La, I can honestly say that I could never have imagined it could be this incredible…not in my wildest dreams!

I feel like in the last 3 weeks I have already come on such an incredible journey. My first (and only) blog was one of being overwhelmed by the immensity of what we were doing. I was expecting this feeling but when it hits you with such intensity it can take you a little by surprise. I now feel like I have settled into my boat, which I absolutely love paddling 6 or more hours a day, floating past turtles, so close I can touch dugongs and having full eye contact with some massive fish as it launches itself so far out of the water that it has a look of, "oh hell, I wasn't expecting to see you here" written across his shiny face!

Our camp set up is getting more and more comfortable as we tweak and adjust our gear as well as our diet which is getting more and more exciting all the time. As for the scenery, well back to my previous note…not in your wildest dreams are there places so incredibly beautiful.

As we move further into the remote northern tip i feel more and more comfortable with our surrounds and lack of all basic conveniences one is so used to. I am even getting more comfortable with camping on small islands next to croc slides, even if I do build a little forte!

I guess a nice story to end on...

As we were paddling into Barrow Island, back towards the mainland after Island hopping out to Lizard Island, we were coming to the end of our 6 hour paddle. Feeling amazing after a very benign weather day which allowed for a constant but just perfect paddling day, we spied the first boat we had seen in a long time. It was little tinnie anchored just off the point so we attempted to sneak up on it and scare the occupants! Unsuccesfully we were discovered but nonetheless we paddled over for a chat and an opportunity to learn a few fishing skills from a couple of pros.

These lovely 2 fishermen were so amazed by us out there and coming in from nowhere that they not only imparted their fishing knowledge but also the biggest, most beautiful Red Emperor onto us that we had ever seen or eaten. We were also offered a beer back on their "big" boat which we sadly refused as it would entail an intense night paddle back towards the mangroves where we did not particulary feel like being croc bait. So yes, we actually said, "no" to a beer! Later that night the Red Emperor was shared as we caught up with Ma and Pa again and feasted under the stars around a camp fire. Good times...

No comments:

Post a Comment